We bought a puppy from a shelter in ’02 when our kids were little. She was a great dog. She was labeled a “mixed” breed but she was part Petite Bassett Griffin Vendeen and part something else. Seeing as how Petite Bassett Griffin Vendeen was apparently already a combination of four breeds, I guess the shelter didn’t want to add a fifth word to her breed and simply labeled her “mixed”.
I think that’s pretty inconsiderate. If a breed can be four words, I don’t think a five word breed is out of the question. Then the dog can have the dignity of knowing that she is a member of a breed.
When we moved to a better neighborhood in ’08 the dog was uneasy to go because she thought the dogs in the new neighborhood were all pure breeds. She eventually adjusted but if the shelter had had the decency to call her mix a breed this stress could have been eliminated.
When you get a dog license, can you invent the breed? Maybe that’s the answer. Has anyone tried that?
No comments:
Post a Comment