Sunday, February 21, 2016

Vet Set



Our family was all in the van driving somewhere over the holidays a few years ago when we spotted a man with a sign by the side of the road which read “Former Vet Please Help”.  I, of course, pulled off the road to help. As I rolled down my window to talk to the man, my younger son said, “Dad! There’s no such thing as a former vet. Either you’re a vet or you’re not.” He was right. So, I handed the checkbook back to my wife and we drove away. I thanked my son for bringing that to my attention.  He’s a bright kid.

As I write this story though, I’m wondering if I acted too quickly and that maybe I should have asked the guy a question or two. ‘Cause it’s possible that he really was a former vet, the only kind of former vet you can be. That, of course, would be a former veterinarian.  But I would expect a homeless veterinarian to have a sign that would read something like “Former Vet. Will neuter pets for food”.

No comments:

Post a Comment