Sunday, June 30, 2019

Funky Fundraiser


I was looking at the entry form today for one of those bike for charity benefits. You’re supposed to ride like 100 miles and people give to the charity based on how many miles you ride. These benefits are great: the riders get themselves into great shape and the charity gets donations. And it’s a charitable deduction for the sponsors. A win-win-win, right? Well, not for me, at least not now. I’m not in good enough shape to ride 100 miles (I gotta run this blog ya-know), and, oh yeah, I don’t own a bike. That makes it tough.

So, like, why can’t I tell my potential sponsors that yeah, I’m not riding this year, but I did ride 100 miles 35 years ago and you can support me this year based on what I did 35 years ago? Is the IRS gonna say, “Sorry, you can’t deduct that donation, that guy rode his bike 35 years ago”? I don’t think so.

It would be even funnier to do the 35 years ago thing if I was really fat now…    

No comments:

Post a Comment