Friday, July 3, 2015

Shorts Story



What’s with people always putting Roman Numerals on The Ten Commandments?  C’mon! That has never made sense to me. Did Moses really come down Mt Sinai with the commandments listed by Roman Numerals? Likely not, as Roman Numerals came along centuries later. If people were really serious about Roman Numerals on The Ten Commandments, wouldn’t they have been known as “The X Commandments” all these years? Also, do we need to identify Super Bowls by Roman Numeral?  Having said that, there must be a use for Roman Numerals somewhere. Some of you readers do not realize that I was a member of my high school’s Latin Club basketball team, and that we had Roman Numerals on the backs of our team shirts.  That seemed appropriate. And I would have no issue with using Roman Numerals to count Roman Candles.  But, overall, clarity is lacking when it comes to these Roman Numerals. When shopping recently for a pair of shorts, I was not able to determine if size XL is “extra large” or “40”. Clerks do not seem to know either. (I, of course, do not wear size XL yet. But I love to ask the question to test their Roman Numeral knowledge.) 

If you want to have some fun, call a pizza place and order a “40”. Tell ‘em it’s for your Uncle Tommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment