Sunday, October 14, 2018

Silent Treatment


The subject of Tarot Cards came up today. No, I don’t use them. I’ve never bought one. I’ve never sent one to anybody. I leave that type of thing to Sylvia at her Psychic shop. (They say she’s a happy medium.) So yeah, the pronunciation of the word “Tarot” came up in discussion today. Since I had no involvement with Tarots, I never knew how to pronounce the word. I would say Tarot with a hard “T” at the end. Like Talbot. Or kind of like saying Tater Tot really fast. Try it! Tarot!  

Well it turns out, it’s pronounced tarou. So yeah, the “T” is silent. Wait a minute. Is it silent or isn’t it? You DO pronounce it at the beginning of the word. Can a letter appear more than one time in a word, where the letter is silent only one of the times? Are we going to allow that? C’mon, English language. Make up your mind! You can’t have it both ways. Do we really expect immigrants to learn this mess?

I think there should be silent numbers. “That’s not really my weight. The 2 is silent.”

No comments:

Post a Comment