Monday, October 26, 2020

Supposebly

Why do people say “supposebly” instead of “supposedly”? I cringe when I hear this word. I don’t know why this word is so difficult. People don’t say “inadvertentbly”, or “suddenbly”, or accidentibly, or well, you get the picture. Certainbly. I don’t think it’s a function of Covid; I’m pretty sure it happened before Covid.

This mispronunciation (yeah, don’t mispronounce THAT word!) has been going on for a while, long before auto-correct.  Auto-correct knows to correct it, but now that I think about it, people never write it wrong. They just say it wrong – weird…

I can't wait for oral auto-correct. This application would gently interrupt and correct people when they use incorrect grammar or language when speaking. The technology is available, supposebly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment