Sunday, October 15, 2023

Baa Baa Banshee

My mother occasionally used the phrase “like a banshee” so yeah, I use it too.  I likely take it out of context, sometimes telling my wife when I’m running late that I’m “driving like a banshee”.  I did that today as a matter of fact. The banshee originated in Irish folklore; it is supposedly a female spirit that (who?) screams a lot, along with wailing and shrieking. I find it a bit odd that no one ever dresses up as a banshee for Halloween. I’ve never had one come to my door for trick or treat, have you? You would know it by its screaming, wailing and shrieking. (“Herb, there’s another Banshee at the door…”)

Be forewarned: if you dress up as one of these banshees, the screaming, wailing and shrieking may make you unpopular at Halloween parties. And if you’re a young child reading this, you may want to tone down the screaming, wailing and shrieking during the Halloween parade at school.

On the other hand, if you’re one those kids who likes to scream, wail, and shriek at school, think of this as an opportunity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment