Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Loose Foot



I enjoy the theater. But I like going to see the plays “cold”, without knowing the story beforehand. They’re much fresher that way. A couple of years ago our local high school put on the play “Footloose”. My wife got us tickets and we went to see it. It was an excellent production but it was nothing like I expected. Because of the name “Footloose”, I had expected it to be about leprosy, or maybe about finding a cure for leprosy. Frankly, I went out of curiosity more than anything else. I wanted to see how they could make a musical about leprosy. I mean, what rhymes with “leprosy”? Boy was I surprised!

Indeed, these titles can fool you. Another play I got fooled on was “Annie Get Your Gun”. I had always thought that this was a sequel to the play “Annie”, where maybe the little red haired orphan girl packs heat and gets revenge on that orphanage. Maybe like a West Side Story for kids. Wrong again!

I wonder if Lady Gaga ever has played the lead in “My Fair Lady”…

No comments:

Post a Comment