Monday, September 28, 2020

Bertha

Have you ever wondered if, somewhere in the English speaking world, there is a labor and delivery nurse named Bertha (or Birtha)? I have. And that maybe she would be like the ultimate baby delivery nurse? “It looks like this could be a difficult delivery. Better call Nurse Bertha!” Or you could have Midwife Bertha. That could be some fun advertising. Call 1-800 BERTHA. Yeah, I know we’re short a digit there but we’d work that out…

What’s with the word Midwife? If someone asks me if I’m married, can I say I’m “midwife” (since I am indeed happily married)? Like midstream or Midland, right in the middle. Midland, while a dull name for a city (didn’t they have one person they could name the city after?) is never near the border. A midwife man is never near the edge of his marriage…

I’d name a town after my labor and delivery nurse before I’d name it Midland…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment