Friday, July 1, 2022

Hello Bobby

Our 8 month old granddaughter (and her parents) was with us for the past two weeks. She was great! We’ve been told she is saying “Baba” a lot since she left. I’m not sure what to make of that, but I’m guessing she misses me. And she apparently (grandparently?) thinks my name is Bob.

I’ve heard recently from the girl’s parents that the words “Mom” and “Dad” derive from babies saying “Mama” and “Dada”. I had not known that. Since then I’ve thought of other words that must derive from babies’ first utterings:

  • Papa – This may be a result of the child watching too many pizza commercials
  • Pippi – This may mean “wet diaper” unless you’ve been reading Pippi Longstocking to the child
  • Moo Goo Gai Pan – This is what you get when you let the baby order takeout
  • Couscous – I read somewhere that it’s never too soon to introduce your child to foreign grains

 

No comments:

Post a Comment