Saturday, June 13, 2015

You Can't Feed an Old Dog New Trix

When my oldest son was one year old, I knew my wife was going out of town and I was going to be spending alot of time with him that weekend, so I stopped in the downtown Woolworth's Friday at lunch to try to find him something special. The store had been quite a place in its day but was nearing the end of its run. It had a lunch counter and lots of your basic five and ten stuff upstairs, but for the toys, games and pets you had to go downstairs. So, looking around the toy department,  I found this Mark Fidrych coloring book. It was covered with grime as it had been there a very long time. Mark had been a great pitcher for the Tigers but had had a very brief career due to arm problems and had retired 12 years prior. So I bought the book as a collector's item. It got me wondering though: if the toys were 12 years old, how old were those parakeets and why did the fish move so slowly. And none of the hamsters were using the wheel.

To be safe, I made it a rule not to eat at a store's lunch counter if they have a pet department.

Also, here's a pet tip from Uncle Tommy: When you purchase a dog on credit and the store gives you "one year same as cash", make sure you read the fine print. The free finance period may be a dog year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment