Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Grand Old Flagman



Summer is the time for road construction. It’s everywhere, isn’t it? Well, nobody likes to see that “Flagman Ahead” sign when there’s road construction. You really can’t fault the flagman or flagwoman. They’re just doing their jobs. But they sure slow down your trip, don’t they? I think the secret to avoiding being stopped by the flagman is to tailgate the car ahead of you really close as you approach the flagman. That way the flag person can’t stop you. That, and avoiding eye contact with the flag person would give you a better chance of not being stopped.

So, yeah, despite my efforts I got stopped by the flag person the other day. The dude stopped me and then ate a sandwich in front of me while I waited. It was a small sandwich, but I got the impression that his timing of letting traffic through had nothing to do with the amount of traffic. Rather, it was all about giving himself enough time to finish the sandwich, and then he could go back and get his chips before he came back and stopped traffic again.
  
My other theory is that someone drove by and gave him their sandwich. “If you let me through you can have my sandwich.” I think I’m gonna stick with that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment