Thursday, April 6, 2017

Duck Duck, Couscous



What’s with these names with repeating identical syllables? Are we to take these folks seriously?

  •          Bishop Tutu – A name I would love to get in Charades
  •          Honey BooBoo  – I never took her seriously
  •          Boutros Boutros-Ghali – Was once introduced as Boutros Boutros Boutros-Ghali
  •          BooBoo Bear – Totally overshadowed by Yogi
  •          JohnJohn Kennedy –JohnJohn dropped the second (or was it the first?) John as he got older. This can also be done with the name Joe, but do NOT do this duplication thing if your son’s name is Barry.
This brings us to couscous. This is a North African dish that has found its way to North America. Now, before my Moroccan and Egyptian readers write to us, I want to assure you that I find couscous to be delicious. But, can we drop the second “cous” already? I mean, is there some meaning in the second “cous” that is not conveyed in the first?  

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Tommy,

    My purpose in writing you today is twofold- first, to ensure that you have had a stupendously happy birthday, and second, to express my thorough enjoyment of this entire blog and especially this post regarding couscous.

    Fin.

    Yours truly,
    LF

    ReplyDelete