Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Sound of Christmas


I heard “My Favorite Things” used as a Christmas Carol again this year. Isn’t this a song from “The Sound of Music”? What am I missing here? The song is not about Christmas. It’s not about people even. Heck, it’s not even about pets. (OK, yeah, there’s a line about “whiskers on kittens”.) It’s a song about thinking about stuff when you’re sad. Like when your country – World War II Germany in this movie - is trying to take over the world!

OK, yeah, I see references in the lyrics to snowflakes and sleigh bells but I also see references to rain drops and roses. So yeah, I think using it as a Christmas Carol is a stretch.  

Can we replace it with “O Tannenbaum”? I have no issues with “O Tannenbaum”. Do they also sing "Rockin' Around the Tannenbaum" in Germany?

No comments:

Post a Comment