Thursday, February 6, 2020

What the H?


Today we’re going to talk about the letter “h”. It’s fine to use the word “an” in front of a word that starts with an “h” if the “h” is silent. “An hour”, “An honest person”.  The one that puzzles me though is “an historical”. We see that a lot.  I’ve no idea why that’s done. We pronounce the “h” in “historical” so there’s no need for the “n” after the “a”…

The word “herb” is tricky. Apparently Americans do not pronounce the “h” but in Great Britain they do pronounce the “h". Who knew? It makes me want to go to Iceland and find out what they do halfway between. But that’s pretty far north and they may not have much herb…

If you’re an American reading this and your name happens to be Herb, I don’t think you need to change your pronunciation. I think this only applies to the plants…  

No comments:

Post a Comment