Monday, November 8, 2021

Football(ad)

I heard a football post game show last week where one of the commentators read a haiku summarizing the game. That’s right. A football haiku. Now haikus (haikai?) can be beautiful. I should know. I had the pleasure of writing haikai in junior high. I, for whatever reason, remember that learning experience very well, so I guess we can conclude that the haikai left an impression on me.  

The haikai must have made an impression on the commentator as well, as I understand he does this after every game. From my standpoint, his haiku was not very good. But I give him credit for weaving Japanese poetry into the broadcast. Somewhere his Jr High language arts teacher is smiling.

Maybe he got the idea from hearing the quarterback say “Hike!” a lot…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment