Sunday, January 21, 2024

Early Bird Finds the Frozen Worm

Somebody wrote in to us years ago and asked why we never wrote about birds. Well, today’s thought, as you can tell from the title, is about birds. Today is January 21st. And I saw numerous robins this morning. They were in my tree, they were really fat, and they wouldn’t leave. Kinda gave me the creeps. I felt like Tippi Hedren, the actress from Hitchcock’s The Birds. So I asked myself, why are these robins here in January? They usually don’t come until March. I thought of these potential reasons:


•    Due to their obvious excess weight, they can’t migrate. Can’t keep up with the flock.
•    They somehow knew Easter is early this year, and so they decided just to stay through the winter.
•    The leap year thing with the extra day next month messed them up.
•    Global warming
 

Assuming the reason is global warming, that brings up another issue. With temperatures continuing to creep up every year, why has there been no discussion about moving Groundhog Day back a few weeks? There is like no way there will six more weeks of winter after February 2nd. Even with the extra day.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment