Sunday, January 7, 2024

Forward Thinking

We stopped at a gas station on a trip over New Year's. The pump would not accept any of my credit or debit cards. That's frustrating, isn't it? After about my fourth try a guy from the pump behind me came over and swiped his card on my pump, thereby giving me a free tank of gas. I asked him why he was paying for my gas and he just smiled and said, "No reason". I told him I wouldn't stick it to him, and that I thought I only needed about 7 gallons. Then he said those five words you love to hear: “Go ahead and top off” And he followed that with, “Don’t worry – I get a 15 cent per gallon discount”. I thanked him and he drove off with his family. Sure enough, I only needed 7 gallons.

So, is that the end of the story? The end of the post? I think not. I need to pass along his kindness, pay it forward I think they call it. But I thought with my luck I’d find somebody who needed like 32 gallons. That didn’t seem to equal the benefit I had received. I’d be out 25 gallons. And I don’t get the 15 cent per gallon discount.  So I was looking for something a little smaller.

Unfortunately you don’t see many, if any, motorcycles in January. I guess I’ll have to wait ‘til it gets warmer to pay it forward. Maybe one of my cards will work by then…

No comments:

Post a Comment