Monday, August 10, 2015

War Reenactment (What is it Good For?)



We have a restored War of 1812 military fort near our house. Per my recent conversation with an esteemed grad student at a large Midwest university, the place is highly regarded as a historic site.  A number of war reenactments are held there. These stray from the 1812 era; they have reenactments there ranging back over 1000 years. The reenactment concept often strikes me as funny when I drive by the fort. I picture them catapulting water balloons. Or, I imagine the conversations during some fake shooting skirmishes: “Um, that one got you, man.” “It most certainly did not. I got you.  Eventually, a fist fight breaks out between the two and they have to stop the war reenactment to separate them…

One Saturday I stopped into our local grocery store and there was a guy in there dressed in Dark Ages battle attire asking where he could find some lighter fluid. Don’t get me wrong – I like hot dogs and marshmallows as much as the next guy, but if you’re truly reenacting the Battle of Hastings (1066), should you really have the advantage of lighter fluid?   Flint and steel would seem more appropriate.  

General Sherman said war is Hell. So no, I’m not in favor of reenacting Hell. As an alternative, I have started a Treaty Signing Reenactment group. It won’t likely be as exciting as war reenactments, but there will be less fake deaths and less arguing and fighting, and we'll still get to wear the outfits. And we’re gonna have some cool pens. If you should happen to see me in costume at the grocery store, it's probably because I'm purchasing lighter fluid for the peace pipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment