Saturday, September 19, 2015

Noisy Neighbor



With so many young people moving back to college recently, I was reminded of the time years ago when some friends were helping me move into an apartment. Unfortunately the unit next to mine had loud music blaring most of the time we were moving in. It was discouraging for me to say the least. I didn’t want to spend my days and nights living next to loud music that I had no control over. My friend suggested a way to defuse the situation, and I’ll throw this out to any of my readers who may encounter this situation in their lives. He said that I needed to knock on my neighbor’s door, and when they answered, say, “Your music. It’s loud. You’re going to Hell. You’re not taking me with you. Turn it down.”  Five short, effective, well crafted phrases. Reminds me of “Stop, drop and roll”, sort of. Well, I never had to use this approach as the music soon went away and never really came back. In fact, that neighbor and I became friends.

While I’ve never had to use that approach, I’ve kept it in my tool box of remedies. Who knows? I may need to use it someday at a red light, or in a nursing home.    

No comments:

Post a Comment