Sunday, April 3, 2016

"I Think We can Take Him"



I was in my late 20’s when I was finishing up grad school. For my last class we had to do one of those group projects (you know, the one where the professor typically has no idea that one person did most of the work). My group consisted of four men, and we were all about the same age, and not particularly tough looking. One Sunday afternoon we met at the library to work on the project. There were no meeting rooms available, but we found one with only one kid in it. Our group leader went into the room and asked the kid if we could have it since there were four of us and only one of him. The kid said no. So then the leader guy said, “But we’re grad students.” At that, the kid got irritated and told us to get lost, more or less.

So, the four of us huddled in the hall. Our leader then said something that totally caught me off guard and makes me laugh, even to this day. He said “There’s four of us and only one of him. I think we can take him.” Of course, I didn’t laugh there, thinking he might want to “take” me. We eventually convinced our leader guy that we could meet elsewhere and we ended up working on the project at one of the guys’ nearby apartment. And we all graduated as opposed to going to going to prison for attacking an undergrad.

Looking back though, yeah, I think we could’ve taken him.

No comments:

Post a Comment