Sunday, April 17, 2016

Open Carry



I was downtown yesterday with my family. We stopped for a fro-yo (that’s frozen yogurt to those of you not so hip) and while we were in the shop, an “open carry” protest march went by on the sidewalk. A couple of mothers in the shop sheltered their young children from seeing the parade. I was confused, ‘cause I thought “open carry” meant walking around with open alcohol containers.  But these folks in the march were walking with open guns. Not all of the folks in the parade had guns though. I couldn’t tell if the people without guns were guys who maybe just wanted to support the guys with guns, or maybe they thought it was a walk to support the open carry of alcohol. Maybe there was a typo on their leaflet and it read “open gin” instead of “open gun”. Well, I was always taught that mixing alcohol and guns was a bad combination but this all seemed pretty harmless.

But for those of you thinking of going to one of these with your families for a nice activity, I will fill you in: in this parade there were no marching bands, no batons; no twirling of the guns, no politicians, no grand marshal and nobody threw candy to us. And the only floats were the ones there in the yogurt shop. How do these people expect me to join their cause if they don’t throw candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment