Thursday, April 21, 2016

Sing Shift



It’s really difficult for me going to those restaurants where the crew comes out and sings Happy Birthday to you. I know it’s hard to find good help, but, these people tend to be pretty bad singers. And, as a musically inclined person, that is a difficult listen for me. These people obviously are not asked to sing during their job interview, and yet I, the paying customer, am supposed to listen to them sing (poorly). Meanwhile, nobody else in the restaurant is getting served, ‘cause I’ve got the whole crew around my table singing to me. So, why limit this concept to bad singing? Let’s expand it to bad dancing or maybe add some bad dinner theater. Bring in a guy who can’t do magic tricks too. Yeah. The only people winning in this scenario are people who enjoy bad singing (“Oh, they’re good kids”). 

I have taken the necessary step of asking about the quality of the singing of the crew when I make a reservation. (“How many of your wait staff are out of work actors?”) Even if we don’t have a birthday in our group, I tend to ask because I’m likely to hear them sing to some other table. And let’s face it, bad singing can ruin a meal. Maybe the answer here is to segregate the restaurants like we used to do with smoking thereby creating a designated bad singing area. Sounds like a start.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment