Sunday, June 5, 2016

Leeked Post



I was at a nice restaurant last week.  The first item on the menu was a salad. And the salad featured something called candied ramps. None of us at our table knew what a ramp was. So I, in an effort to constantly improve my food knowledge, asked the waitress what a ramp was. She politely explained to me that a ramp was an onion. (None of us ordered that item unfortunately, so I cannot comment as to the taste or presentation of the ramps.)

My not knowing this vegetable troubled me, because, as many of you readers know, I have a background in produce, plus my mother grew up on a farm. So I know a bit about vegetables. I looked up “ramp” in the dictionary. Sure enough, no sign of any onion. Well, my dictionary is 40 years old, so I thought this might be a new breed or something. So I did a search for “ramp” on google and, sure enough, some pictures of some small onions came up.

OK, I thought, new stuff gets invented. There are always new flower varieties being developed. And we have mini corn dogs now. And the peanut butter Snicker – that’s kinda new. But if I was inventing new vegetables, I don’t think I would name it “ramp”. I mean, that name is already taken, and it’s not a very pretty word anyway. It has an unpleasant vowel sound and it ends abruptly. It’s an ugly word, even if it’s candied.
  
I don’t really like the word “leek” either. What’s with these onion words?

No comments:

Post a Comment