Sunday, June 26, 2016

Nice Day for a White Shirt



Have you ever walked into a store or a restaurant and realized the clothes you’re wearing are basically the uniform of the employees at the store? It’s awkward, isn’t it? We have a local super market where the men wear white shirts and a tie. It’s a nice touch. Very professional. The guy who owns the store is a military vet. I stopped in there the other night to do a little shopping on the way home. My wife said we needed some detergent and we were out of milk. I didn’t think about it, but I was wearing a white shirt and a tie. On other visits when I happened to be wearing the company attire I’ve seen other friends and people I’ve met before at one time or another. People rarely ask me for help in these circumstances, but I often feel an air of uncertainty. I usually give them an awkward “Hey, I don’t work here” or a “Hey, you know I don’t work here, right?” I follow that up with a “Not that there’s anything wrong with working here”. 

I do it quietly, ‘cause you never know when you might need a job, and I would not want to be asked at the job interview “Hey, aren’t you the guy that used to come in here in the white shirt and the tie and tell people you didn’t work here?”.

No comments:

Post a Comment