Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Windows K-9



When our dog Iz was a pup she learned how to operate the electric windows in my car. She could press the buttons forward to make the window go up and backward to make it go down. I could childproof the back seat windows, but I couldn’t stop her from making the front passenger window go up and down. Well, one day Iz and I were stopped at a red light in front of a gas station where some Jr High girls were having a car wash to raise money for the volleyball team. A couple of them came over to look at the (attractive) dog while we were waiting for the light to change. Iz, being very friendly, got happy feet and, just as the light turned green and I was pulling away, rolled the window up on her head, right in front of the girls. Being the good driver I am, I kept both eyes on the road in the busy intersection, and did not notice her struggle for a few seconds. Eventually, I noticed her trapped head and lowered the window. She seemed a bit traumatized, and rode on the floor of the car for a while, but within a week she was back to lowering the windows and sticking her head out.
  
So, yeah, she was OK. But I’m not so sure about the girls. I never went back and told them that the dog was OK. It didn’t occur to me until later. They were at a tender age. Should I have called the coach and explained what they had seen? Called the school? Would anyone even have believed that Iz had done it to herself? Would I end up taking the blame and possibly do some time in the joint? So I kept quiet about it. Until now.

Rest In Peace Iz  (2002-2016)

2 comments: