Sunday, November 20, 2016

Tongue in Cheek?



I know this is Thanksgiving week but I have a beef to share with you. When I was a kid, our family would buy a side of beef every year.  We ate very well. We had this chest freezer in the basement full of these white packages of beef. Only Mom and Dad knew what was in each package.  In hindsight, I guess I didn’t (and still don’t) know what a “side” of beef was. ‘Cause I thought that meant you got half the animal. Apparently that was not the case, ‘cause we always got the tongue and the heart. Unless they split the tongue and heart in two, which I don’t think they did. (I’m gonna ask my butcher about that, but I don’t want it to be when there’s people around ‘cause maybe that’s some obvious thing that everyone knows. I mean, I’m not gonna stand around and wait at his counter for my number to get called and then ask him that question.)

I remember my Mom making some pretty good soup from the heart. And the heart had to be good for you, right? I mean, how could eating heart NOT be good for you? Beef tongue was another matter for me.  It always seemed like it was tasting me back.

So, like, can you get a side of chicken?

No comments:

Post a Comment