Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Masculine Touch



Some words and phrases used for men and women sound a little too women-centric. That’s OK if the phrase is meant for women. But some phrases are meant for men AND women, and I think they need to be fine-tuned a bit. Tweaked. See what you think:
  • The word “Barista” does not work if it’s a guy. Not sure what it should be. Barist maybe? Baristo?
  • While the term “Jane Doe” works well for women, I think “John Doe” needs some work. I don’t think the “Doe” part works well for men. Let’s switch to “Jack Buck”. (Yes, I know Jack Buck was a baseball announcer, but he was a fine announcer.)
  • "Prima donna” works well for a woman, but if it’s a guy, I prefer “prima don”. Are we making sense?
I'm sure there are more. As always, let us know your thoughts here at Uncle Tommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment