Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Spree



In the hustle of the Halloween rush I ran across some Spree candy today. I enjoy an occasional Spree. My daughter loves Spree. It’s a chewy tart candy with real fruit flavor. You can’t eat just one. So you try to eat just one of each color. But you can’t stop there either. Good stuff. My problem with Spree is the word “Spree”. Do we really need to be creating product names that are the same word plural that they are when they’re singular? As in, “Can I have a Spree?” and “You’ve had too many Spree!” The English language is hard enough already without intentionally adding “trick” words like this to it.

Yeah, I know. You’re saying “What about taffy? There’s no “s” in the plural form of taffy.” Good question. But taffy is grandfathered in. It’s been around long enough to do whatever it wants. Yeah. I’m OK with taffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment