Sunday, December 17, 2017

Wax 'n Wicks



Have you ever wondered at church whether or not the first advent candle, the one that gets lit all four weeks, is going to make it all the way through Advent without running out of wax? And if it does run out of wax and the flame gets really low, will it set the wreath on fire? And will the wreath set the church on fire? And is there enough water in the baptismal font to put out the fire? No, I’ve really not had those thoughts either. At least not often. I mean, well, I don’t have those thoughts when it’s not Advent…

I like to think that I’ve coined a few phrases over the years: “Living low on the hog”, and “Red meat necks”, come to mind. For the person who has way too much going on during the Christmas season, I refer to that as “Burning the Advent candle at both ends”. Feel free to use that. That’s Uncle Tommy’s gift to you, my loyal readers, this Christmas season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment