Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Four Score and Twenty Years Ago

Today on the news they had a feature on a woman who was celebrating her 100th birthday. The news person said that woman had lived through two world wars and had endured the “height of the depression”. Well the last time I looked, World War I ended before 1920, the year this woman supposedly was born. Of course, if she says she lived through World War I, maybe she’s older than she says she is.

At what age do people stop lying about their age to make people think they’re younger? Her neighbors are no doubt whispering (loudly), “Nellie says she lived through World War I. I knew she was older than 100!”

Oh, and what’s with the expression, “the height of the depression”? Is that an oxymoron or what? Is that a medical term? Do depressions have peaks?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment