Thursday, February 4, 2021

Business Face

Yesterday I had an experience I was ill-prepared for. By sharing this story, perhaps I can help you prepare for the situation if it ever happens to you. At a business meeting I met a woman for the first time. She handed me her business card and I gave her mine. Her card had her picture on it. That was the problem. In the picture she was much younger looking– like decades younger, like maybe something taken in the 20th century. I get that – we all want to look younger. And thinner. But it was also a terrible picture. Pained facial expression, awkward neck angle. It looked like a “Wanted” picture you see at the post office. Only younger than those folks.

Well, I could have reacted better. I didn’t do a double take, but it was definitely more than a take, probably something around a one and a half take. I’m pretty sure she noticed. I should have been better prepared, but maybe there should be a requirement the we get our business card pictures updated every four years like we do our drivers' licenses pictures. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment