Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Count Your "Bless Yous"

When somebody sneezes, we yell out “God Bless You”. If we don’t, somebody else does. We don’t walk over to the person or even look at them. But we say it. We belt it out. I tend to wait to see if there’s a second sneeze before I say it ‘cause it’s awkward when you say it only to have them sneeze again.  I’ve never figured out if it’s proper to say it after the second sneeze if you already said it after the first sneeze. Sometimes I wait too long for the second sneeze and before they sneeze again the person leaves the room and if you say it when they come back they don’t remember that they sneezed and it gets awkward.

I had a Canadian friend who, instead of “God Bless You”, would ask, “Are you alright?” when someone sneezed.  I admired that. I don’t know if that’s a Canadian custom or if it was just that guy. Maybe sneezing is more of a concern in Canada ‘cause it’s colder up there. I bet that’s it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment