Thursday, July 15, 2021

Special Needa

Did you ever, maybe when you were a kid, or maybe now, associate the name of a business with the individual running the business? For example, our local pizza shop growing up was called Mario’s – Mario’s Pizza. So my friends and I always called the woman working there Mario. (I’m not sure it registered with us that Mario is a man’s name.)

Our local dry cleaner was called Uneeda Cleaners. Get it? Uneeda? (Pretty clever in hindsight). At some point in my childhood Uneeda became a “she” instead of a business name. My mom referred to the woman who worked there as Uneeda, as in “I’m going to see Uneeda. Anybody need anything dropped off?”

Uneeda’s advertising slogan was “Save us a spot”. She removed more than one Mario stain from my shirts. I wonder if Mario and Uneeda hung out?     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment