Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sweater Season

I attended a Christmas luncheon Friday where we were supposed to wear an ugly sweater. So yeah, I wore one. When I got in line for the buffet, a guy who wasn’t wearing an ugly sweater looked at me and said, “My wife doesn’t let me keep old clothes.” I did not have a quick response. In hindsight I could have said:

  •          “Oh, this? This is new (even though it was my father’s gray cardigan with the red trim).”
  •          “Oh, is this ugly sweater day? I didn’t realize.”
  •          “It’s amazing how many people win ugly sweater contests who just wear what they consider regular clothes to the event.”

Later, the joke was on me when I still had the sweater on (it’s comfortable!) when I went to the grocery store. I ran into a guy I hadn’t seen in 15 years. In my excitement, I didn’t tell him that I had come from an ugly sweater luncheon. Based on my appearance, he may thought I was a bit down on my luck.

I must not have looked too bad – he did not offer to pay for my groceries.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment