Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Digit Fidget

I was in a line at the bank recently, and the teller asked the guy in front of me (a little too loudly) for the last four of his social security number. The guy responded, “6-37-5” (number changed for privacy obviously). Wait. What? Nobody EVER states a four digit number that way. Nobody. You might combine the first two and the last two (“63-75”). We call this the 2-2. But nobody, I mean nobody, does the 1-2-1.  Or the 3-1 or 1-3, for that matter.

Speaking of numbers, remember when they had to add new area codes ‘cause all the phone #’s were used up? C’mon. Prior to that we all had had nice tidy 7 digit phone #’s. With 7 digits, you get 9,999,999 combinations of numbers by my count, right? There’s no way that there are that many phone #’s in my area code. Regardless, now we all have to dial the area code when we make a call. Ten digits instead of seven.

I’m running a blog here. I don’t have time for that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment