Wednesday, February 1, 2023

The Return of the FNOPs

Remember FNOPs? That’s right! First name only people. You know. Madonna, Bono - all them. Well, after all these years, I may have gained some insight into the origin of these FNOPs. Today I got fan mail from someone whose last name is Nunn, and everything clicked. My theory is this: When people with the last name Nunn originally came to this country through Ellis Island in New York City or Galveston or wherever, they were likely asked some questions. When asked to state their last name, they undoubtedly said, “Nunn”. When the immigration workers heard “Nunn” they likely assumed the person had no last name. So the immigration workers did not give them a last name on their green cards. That’s gotta be it. So there’s a good chance that these FNOPs are all related! Crazy, I know!

Just thought I’d Cher that with you!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment