Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Slowgans

What is with the reply “Not if I see you first!” when someone says “See you later”? I have never understood that phrase. I mean, you’re still going to see them later even if they do see you first.  What exactly am I missing here? Let’s get rid of “Not if I see you first” in 2023.

Here are a couple of other common expressions we need to drop in ’23:

  •          “All day”.  This is a tag line people use when someone asks, “Is today the 20th?” Someone responds, “All day.” C’mon. That’s not necessary. The person asking knows they should know the date. They already feel bad about not knowing. Let’s not punish them for asking. 
  •         “Thanks for the warning”. This of course is another reply to “See you later”. This line is older than me, and, yes, it may have been amusing when Groucho Marx or Mark Twain or somebody originally said it, but it hasn’t been funny for like 100 years. It’s okay if your grandfather says it but not if it’s said by somebody under 90.

So, am I leaving you with a void, a cavity of sorts, taking away phrases without adding anything new to replace these worn out expressions? If so, and even if not so, be on the lookout for our New Words and Phrases for 2023 coming your way in a future post. See you later!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment