Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Forty

The eclipse is behind us but we have another big event on the horizon: The Cicadas are coming. And they are apparently very loud. I heard about them today at a luncheon. I asked where they were playing and how much were the tickets. I figured they were one of those insect themed rock groups like The Beatles. Or The Crickets, Buddy Holly’s band. Or Adam Ant. Or my favorite insect themed band, Iron Butterfly.

Boy was I embarrassed when they explained to me that these cicadas are actually noisy bugs and not a loud rock band. Oops. They told me that there are two groups of cicadas coming to the US: the 13-year Brood XIX and the 17-year Brood XIII. No, that’s not a typo. The 13-year Brood is XIX, not XIII.  The numbers don’t match up. C’mon. Are bugs even worthy of Roman numerals?

Let’s save the Roman Numerals for important things like The Ten Commandments and The Super Bowl. And big t-shirts. (XL)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment