Wednesday, October 28, 2015

KindergARTen



My big sister has always been an excellent artist and now teaches art. She’s immensely talented.  I was two years behind her in school. Each year the teacher eagerly awaited my arrival, anticipating another fine young artist. But it was not to be. I was bad. Really bad. Kindergarten was awful on art day.  Once, our teacher really yelled at me for doing poorly at the easel. There I was – all alone at the easel and she was letting me have it. In Kindergarten! My work was indeed poor, but she assumed I was doing it intentionally or something.  I considered quitting school. Thank goodness we only had half-day kindergarten back then. Throughout elementary school and Jr. High my artwork never made it to the main hallway with the rest of the kids’. Mine was always around the corner near the janitor’s closet. My pottery was always the one that cracked in the kiln. 

My artwork today consists mainly of carving the annual pumpkin. I pretty much stick to the triangle eyes, triangle nose, crooked mouth and a few teeth. I use my memory of that kindergarten teacher as a model.

No comments:

Post a Comment