Monday, October 12, 2015

Macho Poncho



We’ve recently ruled here at Uncle Tommy that a poncho by itself cannot be a Halloween costume. Since releasing that post (See “Halloween Etiquette” October 4th) we’ve received a number of questions regarding the poncho. Questions included: How do I wear it? Do they come with a lining? Do they make them for guys? Well, the poncho appears to be popular this year – they’re featured in a number of ads I’ve seen, and, as the weather cools, I anticipate seeing many ponchos being worn out on the town, mostly by women. I love a good poncho. One size fits all. You never have to take a poncho to the tailor for letting out the waist. That’s my kind of garment. Never needs ironing. The male (yes!) ponchos I’ve seen are more of the rustic variety – many of the ads feature a man wearing a poncho and holding a rifle of some sort. Pretty rough crowd, these Poncho people. Perhaps the thought is that a man in a poncho is more likely to be attacked.  Or maybe the ads are demonstrating that it’s easier to get to your “piece” if you don’t have sleeves to slow you down. 

I found an ad for one poncho that could be converted into a tent. That gave me an idea. Since I really can’t afford a poncho, and since I already have a tent, do you think I could just wear my tent as a poncho?  Let us know your thoughts here at Uncle Tommy. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment