Monday, October 19, 2015

La Vieille Chaise (The Old Chair)



I helped a friend set up some folding chairs the other day at a local festival. These chairs were so old that the instructions under the seat of the chairs were only in one language - English. That, my friend, is old. I know you’re asking, why does Uncle Tommy need to look at instructions just to set up folding chairs. OK, OK. I’m not real handy, I admit. But I didn’t NEED the instructions – I just happened to notice them. And they were only in English. Nowadays all assembly instructions are printed in multiple languages. That creates educational opportunities, something I typically keep an eye out for. For instance, it’s possible to learn at least part of a foreign language while assembling something. A helpful exercise I’ve learned is to assemble the unit in English, take it apart, and then, attempt to reassemble it using another language.

I don’t want to brag, but I’ve learned a bit of French from these assembly instructions over the years. I’ve tried to use French occasionally when ordering at fancy restaurants. It’s a beautiful language. And ordering in French can make a good impression to business associates, friends, spouses, or especially dates.  Usually you’re safe because the waiter does not know French so you just laugh and then reorder in English. There will, however, be the rare occasion when the waiter does speak French and might possibly deliver some shelves or maybe a birdhouse to your table.   

No comments:

Post a Comment