Thursday, October 20, 2016

You Don't Need a Weatherman to Know Which Way the Wind Blows



Today I called a doctor’s office; their answering machine said there were four calls ahead of me and that my estimated wait time was one minute. Figuring I could spare a minute, I waited. And I waited. There was hold music so it was an obnoxious wait. (I have friends who have cool hold music but most people shy away from using cool music. Businesses shouldn’t use hold music of any kind because you can count the songs and figure out how many minutes you’ve waited.) So today I waited through 4 songs (almost an album side) and finally I surrendered and hung up. Four calls ahead of me? Yeah, right. Try fourteen. What if I had been really sick? (No, I still haven’t made it to RiteAid’s Drive Thru for my flu shot.)

So, who makes these hold time estimates? Is there like some expert guy in Kansas somewhere? Whoever it is is not very good at it. On second thought he does his job just fine. His job is to lie to you about the expected wait time to lure you into the waiting process. 

Speaking of guys who try to predict things, do you know why God created economists? He wanted to make the weathermen look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment