Sunday, July 12, 2020

Lost in Translation


We’re living in crazy times, aren’t we? We hear of statues being toppled, not just in the United States, but all over the world. For some reason, I was reminded recently of the statue of Freddie Mercury in Montreux, Switzerland on the shore of beautiful Lake Geneva. I have always wondered why there is a statue of Freddie Mercury in Switzerland, haven’t you?

Well, I think I’ve got it figured out. There are four official languages in Switzerland. So yeah, I think when the statue was commissioned, it was supposed to be a statue of the queen. (I’m guessing Switzerland must have had a queen at some point in its history.) Instead, due to a translation error, the sculptor thought it read, “The lead singer of the rock group Queen”. Yeah, that’s gotta be it.  

They probably have a statue of Prince over there somewhere too I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment