Sunday, September 18, 2022

St. Bernard

I was in a meeting Friday where this woman went on (not quite on and on) about her St. Bernard’s birthday. She showed us a picture. He’s a fine looking dog. I of course asked her if they celebrated all seven of the dog’s birthdays each year – she looked at me as if I was crazy.

I’ve always wondered about St. Bernard and how a dog breed got named after him. Was he a guy who helped dogs? Was he a guy who was nominated for sainthood but didn’t quite get the votes? Did some bishop or cardinal on the panel say something like, “Look, it’s late, we’ve been talking about this guy all night, he didn’t get the votes, he's not gonna be a saint, so let's name something after him and get this meeting over with.” I’m thinking that had to be it.

Now I gotta figure out this Jack Russell guy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment