Wednesday, November 15, 2023

More Words Sometimes Confused with Acronyms

YOGA vs YODA – One of these in from Star Trek. I forget which.

FANTA vs FAYGO – I still don’t know if either of these is an acronym. But they can co-exist because they complement each other so well: Faygo doesn’t have a pineapple soda and Fanta doesn’t have a clear cream soda. And I think Faygo has a cola nobody ever drinks. Which leads us to…

Cola vs COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) – I don’t remember my father ever drinking cola much but he had a COLA in his contract at work. I wish I had one. Speaking of cola…

MR. PIBB vs DR. PEPPER – Dr. Jonas Salk invented the first safe and effective vaccine for polio. I wonder if he ever met Dr. Pepper?

NOVI Michigan – Legend has it that the city was named after the sixth toll gate (No. VI) on the Grand River Road.

That, my good readers, is a Roman acronym. When a Roman numeral becomes part of a word, or the foundation of a word, it is a Roman acronym. That’s what we’re calling it. Mark it down.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment