Tuesday, May 31, 2016

“Holy Mackerel, When’d You Get Out?”



There are many words or combinations of words that one does not enjoy hearing.  Words you never want to hear. I was at our local Speedway the other day getting a coffee when I heard a guy say excitedly to another guy, “Hey, when’d you get out?”.  “Holy mackerel!”, I thought to myself. Am I in the midst of some former prisoners of some sort? Were they released or did they escape? Pardoned, maybe? And are they getting fired up on coffee? At least none of them were buying liquor, although one had a bottle of Sprite which can be sometimes mixed with liquor. I got my coffee using my Speedy Rewards Discount Card and got the heck out of there. I mean, I’m pretty tough and all, but not nearly as tough as I look.

Speaking of the expression “Holy Mackerel”, my writing doesn't leave me much time for hobbies, but one of my hobbies is phrase etymologies. I typically ignore most research on the origin of the meanings and rely on good old common sense. “Holy mackerel” undoubtedly originated with Jesus and the feeding of the 5000. C’mon. What else could it have been?

No comments:

Post a Comment