Sunday, May 1, 2016

Cappy Dick



I liked Sunday mornings growing up. Before leaving for Sunday School, if we had time during breakfast we’d get to read the comics. In color. Remember Cappy Dick’s Young Hobby Club? Look him up online if you don’t remember.

  
 
He was in the Sunday comics and he was this somewhat disturbing cross between a pirate and some way too old camp counselor. He smoked a pipe (until it wasn’t cool to smoke a pipe) and his comic strip was all about teaching us kids some hobbies, games and crafts. His games included taking a rubber ball and seeing how high you could bounce it into the air. Seriously. Crafts would include his coloring contests where you’d color this tiny newsprint picture and send it in. I don’t know anybody who ever won – I think it was a scam. He sort of creeped me out. I mean, why would we want to learn games or crafts from this crusty old sailor guy? And why would he want to teach us? I usually would skip over him and go right to Steve Roper and Mike Nomad. 

In hindsight, I wish Steve and Mike could have investigated Cappy Dick. Had they looked into him I think Steve and Mike would have found out that Cappy’s ultimate evil goal was to make us kids late for Sunday School.     

No comments:

Post a Comment