Sunday, February 26, 2017

Family Circus Peanuts



We had a nice discussion about circus peanuts the other day. Apparently they come in numerous flavors now. It reminded me of when I was about 10 and my friend and I would visit his Grandmother. The woman smoked. A lot. There was so much smoke in her house it’s a wonder that she stayed alive as long as she did. Heck, it’s a wonder my friend and I made it out of there alive.  We rode our bikes there sometimes in the summer. She’d let us in and then she’d sit at the kitchen table smoking Luckys and listening to her police radio. I never knew why she listened to it – I guess her son was some kind of deputy or something. With all that smoke she probably should have listened to the fire department radio. 

And she always had this candy dish filled with circus peanuts on her coffee table. We never ate any. Circus peanuts were supposedly covered with that powdered sugar looking stuff. These may have been covered by the powdered sugar but it could have been dust or ash. That’s the problem with circus peanuts. We left the candy for the other grandchildren who visited on other days. I’m not sure how many of those kids lived to adulthood…

No comments:

Post a Comment