Monday, February 6, 2017

Old News is No News



I found an old newspaper in a box of music Saturday. It was from June 1988, I think. So I looked at the front page and I couldn’t find anything familiar. No national disaster, no election, no natural disaster, no recognizable pet picture. No famous person died. So I looked all through the paper. No familiar wedding pictures. I looked at the obituaries for familiar names. None. I couldn’t find a reason why we would have kept the paper. My wife reviewed it and she couldn’t find anything either. So, what do you do in these situations? Do you throw the paper out thinking it was kept in error? Or do you keep it in hopes that ten years from now when you re-open the box, you’ll remember why you saved the paper?  

Well, we know here at Uncle Tommy that you readers rely on us to come up with alternative solutions, and, sure enough, there is indeed a third option, and I like it. It’s not real exciting but it needs to be said nonetheless. So yeah, why not use that paper to wrap breakables in your attic? That way, you have it if you someday remember what happened in June of ’88. If you never remember anything about that date, at least the paper is serving a purpose for you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment